- UAE-India travel: Cash limits for NRIs and tourists.
- Instances of arrests for carrying large sums of cash.
- RBI sets limits: $3,000 per visit for most countries.
- Additional options for NRIs: cards, cheques, drafts.
- Specific limits for Iraq, Libya, Iran, Russia, and more.
- Indian nationals going for Haj and Umrah can carry $250,000.
- Residents of India can carry foreign exchange without limit.
- Declaration required for amounts exceeding $10,000 or $5,000
Travellers between the UAE and India are urged to be familiar with the cash limit regulations applicable to NRIs and tourists. Recent incidents involving arrests have underscored the significance of complying with these restrictions when carrying large sums of cash in dirhams and Indian currency. To ensure a seamless journey, travellers are advised to adhere to the prescribed cash limits as outlined by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
According to RBI guidelines, visitors travelling to the UAE and most other countries are permitted to purchase foreign currency up to $3,000 per visit. NRIs have additional options at their disposal, including store value cards, travellers’ cheques, and banker’s drafts. However, it is important to note that different limits apply to travel to specific countries such as Iraq, Libya, Iran, Russia, and Commonwealth of Independent States.
Reading Suggestion:The Middle East Is Witnessing A Boom In Business Travel
Indian nationals embarking on religious journeys, such as Haj and Umrah, are allowed to carry up to $250,000 in cash. Conversely, residents of India travelling abroad are not subjected to a specific cash limit.
Travellers entering India from abroad must be aware of the declaration requirements. If the aggregate value of the foreign exchange in the form of currency notes, banknotes, or travellers’ cheques brought into the country exceeds $10,000, or if the value of foreign currency alone exceeds $5,000, it must be declared to Customs Authorities upon arrival using the Currency Declaration Form (CDF).
Staying informed and adhering to these guidelines is crucial for a trouble-free travel experience. By respecting the prescribed cash limits, travellers can ensure a seamless journey between the UAE and India.