- His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, issues Law No. (16) of 2023 to regulate urban planning in Dubai.
- The new law aims to develop an integrated and effective urban planning system that encourages investment, sustainable development, and enhances the quality of life for citizens.
- The law establishes a ‘Supreme Committee for Urban Planning’ composed of representatives from relevant authorities responsible for urban planning in Dubai.
- The Supreme Committee will set the general policy for urban planning in Dubai and define objectives for urban development in line with approved goals and strategies.
- The ‘Dubai 2040 Urban Master Plan’ is considered the approved structural plan for the emirate of Dubai.
- Dubai Municipality is assigned the sole responsibility of regulating the urban planning sector in Dubai and coordinating with relevant entities and authorities overseeing special development zones and free zones, if necessary.
- The law prohibits any person from carrying out development works in Dubai without obtaining related permits.
- Dubai Municipality will have the authority to issue permits and ensure compliance with applicable legislation for development works.
- The law will be effective (90) ninety days from its date of issuance.
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, has issued Law No. (16) of 2023, aiming to regulate urban planning in the city and develop an integrated, effective system.
The newly introduced law is set to encourage investment, sustainable development, and prosperity while enhancing the quality of life for citizens. Its primary goal is to ensure the safety and security of the community, improve governance in the urban planning sector, define responsibilities of relevant authorities, and foster cooperation, coordination, and integration among them.
Reading Suggestion: Sheikh Mohammed Orders Promotions for Thousands of Officials in Dubai
The law will play a crucial role in enhancing the efficiency of preparing and implementing urban planning plans, strategies, and policies. Additionally, it will monitor and gauge their results, upholding principles of justice, equality, transparency, and accountability. The legislation aims to regulate and monitor urban planning activities, align them with approved plans and policies, and preserve the environment, biodiversity, and natural resources of the emirate. Furthermore, it seeks to establish an environmental impact assessment and strategic environmental assessment system in Dubai.
Under the new law, a ‘Supreme Committee for Urban Planning’ will be formed, consisting of representatives from relevant authorities responsible for urban planning in Dubai. The committee will be tasked with setting the general policy for urban planning in the city and defining objectives for urban development within approved goals and strategies.
Effective immediately, the ‘Dubai 2040 Urban Master Plan’ will be considered the official structural plan for the emirate of Dubai. The law designates Dubai Municipality as the sole authority to regulate the urban planning sector, with the power to coordinate with entities overseeing special development zones and free zones, if required.
According to the legislation, any development works in Dubai must obtain related permits, and every individual must ensure compliance with applicable legislation and permit conditions during the execution of development projects.
The new law aims to streamline the urban planning process, enhance sustainable development practices, and create a cohesive and well-structured cityscape. It will be effective 90 days from its issuance after being published in the Official Gazette.