- The SMART Tire Company releases METL airless bike tyres, utilizing NASA’s shape memory alloy for elasticity and strength without air pressure.
- The METL tyre model gains recognition at CES 2023, securing innovation awards and confirming its potential in revolutionizing vehicle technology and sustainability.
- METL tyres embody sustainability by reducing rubber waste and promising a long-lasting tire lifespan, aiming to transform the traditional tire market.
- Built with NiTinol, METL tires provide a puncture-resistant, comfortable ride comparable to pneumatic tyres, enhancing road safety and overall durability.
- Priced at approximately $100-150, METL tyres present an affordable, sustainable alternative with potential to disrupt the tyre market, aligning with future trends.
METL Airless Bike Tyres
METL Airless Bike Tyres, the highly anticipated airless tyre technology, initially developed by NASA for rovers and later adapted for commercial use by The SMART Tire Company (STC), is now available for purchase. The SMART METL tyres designed for bikes offer minimal rolling resistance, require no air pressure, deliver a smooth ride similar to pneumatic tires, and boast an impressive lifespan, aligning with the sustainability goals of the tyre industry.
This cutting-edge METL tyre model earned two prestigious innovation awards at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2023, solidifying its impact in the Vehicle Tech & Advanced Mobility and Sustainability, Eco-Design & Smart Energy categories. The tyre is set to revolutionize the biking experience while embracing sustainability.
Read Also: Coffee Shops In Dubai
The METL Tyre Technology
Based on NASA’s shape memory alloy (SMA) technology, each METL tyre features a central spring made of NiTinol, a nickel-titanium alloy known for its elastic and robust properties. This innovative composition ensures a comfortable and puncture-resistant ride, akin to a pneumatic tyre, adding a new dimension to road safety.
Sustaining Our Future
The METL tyre venture has set its sights on transforming the fundamentally unsustainable tyre industry, emphasizing increased road safety and sustainability. With a commitment to reducing rubber waste and providing a long-lasting, efficient tyre, the METL tires mark a paradigm shift in the tyre market.
The Road Ahead
As STC introduces this groundbreaking tyre technology, offering road/gravel tyres in varied sizes, we anticipate an exciting shift in the automotive landscape.
Innovating with a purpose, Brian Yennie, Co-Founder of STC, emphasizes the rapid development of METL airless bike tyres as an essential step in showcasing their capabilities and delivering an exceptional product. Launching commercially in various sizes (700 x 32c, 35c, and 38c), these METL tyres hit the sweet spot in weight (450 grams) within the pneumatic tyre range, promising a balance between performance and durability.
Reading Suggestion: Pan Emirates Dalma Mall
Sustainability takes center stage
STC’s METL tyres aim to transform the unsustainable tyre industry by focusing on long-term usage and improved road safety. Conceived in 2020 as part of the FedTech NASA Startup Program, the METL tyre is a result of a partnership between NASA Glenn Research Center and SMART.
Harnessing NASA’s SMA technology, the METL tyre’s NiTinol central spring offers a comfortable and pneumatic tyre-like ride, resiliently bouncing back to its original shape after strain. The design optimizes rubber usage, highlighting a sustainable approach in tyre manufacturing.
METL’s durability shines
Resistant to punctures and designed for a long lifespan, these tyres promise to withstand the test of time. With reduced material costs, they are priced affordably at $100-150, potentially revolutionizing the tyre market.
Stay tuned as this innovation paves the way for a sustainable and puncture-resistant future!