- Marks and Spencer commemorates 25 years in the UAE, reflecting on its remarkable journey.
- In 1998, M&S introduced its first store in Deira, Dubai, in partnership with Al-Futtaim Group.
- The two-story outlet was inaugurated by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and offered a prayer room and coffee shop.
- M&S was the only franchise, apart from the Channel Islands, to accept the M&S Chargecard.
- Top sellers included Swiss Chocolate Discs, rose range bath and body products, and essential lingerie.
- The flagship store in Dubai Festival City Mall became the largest M&S store outside the UK in 2007.
- The introduction of the first M&S Café in the region elevated the shopping experience.
- Today, Dubai boasts multiple M&S stores, including Deira City Centre, Dubai Mall, and more.
- M&S’s food delivery service ensures customers can enjoy their favorite British products from the comfort of home.
- In celebration of its silver anniversary in the UAE, M&S offers a 25% discount on select products when purchasing any two items.
Marks and Spencer
Marks and Spencer has been a part of the UAE for a quarter of a century. Let’s take a trip down memory lane to when M&S opened its doors in Dubai back in 1998.
In 1997, the exciting news broke that M&S was establishing its presence in Deira, Dubai. This 24,000-square-foot franchise store, in partnership with Al-Futtaim Group, was a game-changer.Prior to its January 1998 launch, management staff underwent training at a Marks & Spencer store in Croydon, England.
When the doors finally swung open, the UAE welcomed M&S’s delectable food, stylish menswear, womenswear, lingerie, and adorable childrenswear.
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, inaugurated this two-story store, complete with a coffee shop and a prayer room.
Besides the Channel Islands stores, this was the sole M&S franchise accepting the M&S Chargecard at the time. Top sellers included Swiss Chocolate Discs, the floral collection rose range of bath and body products, and the ever-supportive total support bra and full brief knickers.
In 2007, the largest M&S store outside the UK was established in Dubai Festival City Mall. A decade later, this flagship store was upgraded to feature the region’s very first M&S Café.
Fast forward to 2023
Dubai boasts several M&S stores (and cafés) across the city, making British classics and delightful treats readily accessible. Plus, M&S food delivery via the app, Instashop, and Deliveroo ensures you never run out of teacakes or deli sarnie fillings.
As Marks & Spencer celebrates its silver anniversary in the UAE, shoppers are in for a treat. Until Tuesday, October 3, selected products are available at a 25% discount when you purchase any two of them. From cereals to cordials and frozen delights, there’s something for everyone.
Items Included In The Silver Anniversary Promotion Are
- M&S cereals (buy 2 get 25 percent off).
- Mini bites (buy 2 get 25 percent off).
- M&S honey (buy 2 get 25 percent off).
- Colin the Caterpillar (25 percent off).
- Teacakes (buy 2 get 25 percent off).
- M&S cordial (buy 2 get 25 percent off).
- All frozen (buy 2 get 25 percent off).
Were you in Dubai when the first M&S branch opened its doors? Share your M&S memories with us!