- COP28 , the 28th Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC, hosted by the UAE in Dubai.
- Dates: November 30 to December 12, 2023.
- Key focus: Addressing pressing climate change issues and global collaboration.
- Blue Zone for accredited participants, including world leaders.
- Green Zone open to a wider audience, featuring three categories.
- Three Green Zone categories: Sponsor and Stakeholder Hub, Curated Content, Community Engagement.
- Public tickets available (prices TBC) for comprehensive climate action engagement.
- Significant year, seven years after the Paris Agreement, setting new climate goals.
- 199 parties involved, including states and the European Union.
- UAE’s two-year leadership role, followed by presidency transition.
- Commitment to practical and ambitious climate solutions.
- An opportunity for diverse sectors to engage in climate discussions.
COP28 in a world grappling with the urgent need for climate action, Dubai, UAE, is set to host a pivotal global event. The Conference of the Parties (COP) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is an annual gathering of world leaders and stakeholders dedicated to addressing the critical issues of climate change. This year, COP28 takes center stage, and while it may be primarily for decision-makers, its implications resonate with all of us, as we collectively combat climate change.
COP, an international summit that has convened since 1995, serves as a platform for world leaders to collaborate on solutions to combat climate change. It’s a particularly significant year for COP as it falls seven years after the adoption of the Paris Agreement, a landmark international treaty aimed at mitigating climate change, with the target year being 2030.
A total of 199 parties participate in COP, comprising 198 states and the European Union. The 28th annual summit, COP28, is hosted by the UAE in Expo City, Dubai, from Thursday, November 30 to Tuesday, December 12, 2023. This year, the UAE carries the responsibility of uniting the world toward “bold, practical, and ambitious solutions” for one of humanity’s most pressing global challenges.
The Event Breakdown
COP28 will feature two primary zones:
1. The Blue Zone:
Reserved for accredited participants, including COP parties, world leaders, and observers. This zone will host formal negotiations spanning two weeks, along with the World Climate Action Summit, country pavilions, presidency events, panel discussions, roundtables, and cultural events.
2. The Green Zone:
Open to a wider audience, including delegates, private and public sector representatives, NGOs, and the general public. Visitors to the Green Zone will have the opportunity to explore three distinct categories:
- Sponsor and Stakeholder Hub: Sharing insights on decarbonization, technology, innovation, and summit-related knowledge.
- Curated Content: Featuring conferences, panels, roundtables, entertainment, and more.
- Community Engagement: Focusing on youth involvement and Emirati culture.
Tickets and Participation
While public ticket prices for COP28 are yet to be announced, the event promises to provide a comprehensive experience for those interested in climate action. The full schedule for the two-week summit will be available closer to the event date.
COP28 in Dubai represents an opportunity for the world to come together, share expertise, and collaborate on solutions to combat climate change. As the UAE takes on the mantle of hosting this critical event, the global community looks forward to forging a path toward a sustainable, low-carbon future.
For more information and updates on COP28, please visit cop28.com.