- Groundbreaking Surgery: NMC Royal Hospital performs a groundbreaking bilateral TMJ replacement surgery to address ‘cheerleader syndrome’ in a Dubai resident.
- Custom-Made Joints: 3D printing technology utilized to create custom TMJ joints for precise and effective treatment.
- Remarkable Transformation: The surgery alleviates pain, improves jaw mobility, and enhances aesthetics for the patient.
- Early Diagnosis Matters: The case underscores the significance of early detection and appropriate treatment for rare TMJ disorders.
- Pioneering Achievement: The successful surgery marks a new frontier in the region’s medical landscape, enhancing NMC Royal Hospital’s reputation as a leading healthcare institution in the Middle East.
Groundbreaking surgery Restores Smile to Dubai Resident Suffering from ‘Cheerleader Syndrome’
A remarkable medical achievement has transformed the life of a 38-year-old Egyptian homemaker residing in Dubai. Marwa Alsufi Ramadan battled a rare and debilitating condition known as ‘cheerleader syndrome,’ which caused irregular jaw function, tooth loss, and chewing discomfort.
For decades, Marwa endured the effects of ‘bilateral idiopathic condylar resorption,’ a bilateral temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder that impacted her ability to chew properly and significantly affected her quality of life. Despite seeking treatment earlier, her condition remained undiagnosed and untreated.
Reading Suggestion: UAE Miracle Baby: A Tale of Hope and Resilience on Parents’ Day
After her neighbors recommended NMC Royal Hospital, Marwa sought help from Dr Shyamsunder Nair, head of oral and maxillofacial surgery, and Dr Pramod Subhash, a consultant in craniomaxillofacial surgery. They diagnosed her condition as progressive resorption/erosion of her jaw joints and recommended a groundbreaking bilateral TMJ replacement surgery.
The life-changing procedure involved custom-made TMJ joints created with 3D printing technology based on Marwa’s CT scan. The surgeons skillfully implanted the custom joints, relieving Marwa from pain and significantly improving her jaw’s functionality and appearance.
It has been two months since the surgery, and Marwa has experienced a remarkable transformation. She expressed her heartfelt gratitude to the medical staff for their exceptional support and care throughout her journey to recovery.
Dr Nair emphasized the importance of early diagnosis and appropriate treatment for such conditions, showcasing the hospital’s commitment to innovative medical solutions and enhancing patients’ quality of life.
The groundbreaking achievement opens doors for similar cases and reinforces NMC Royal Hospital’s position as a leading healthcare institution in the Middle East, according to Dr Nair and Dr Subhash, who expressed their delight at helping Marwa return to a pain-free normal life.
The successful surgery serves as a testament to the hospital’s dedication to providing advanced and innovative care for various medical conditions, offering hope to patients seeking transformative solutions.