- 14 AI Powered pedestrian crossings systems launches in Dubai Silicon Oasis (DSO).
- The innovative system uses behavior prediction models to detect pedestrians, cyclists, and other vulnerable road users.
- Algorithms track vehicles and road users approaching the crosswalk, optimizing reaction time for approaching vehicles.
- Flashing warning signs, in-road lights, and traffic signal controllers are activated in anticipation of pedestrians crossing.
- Customizable alerts can be adjusted based on specific crossing scenarios for enhanced safety measures.
- The technology collects data to improve road users’ awareness and authorities’ responsiveness to safety issues and traffic performance.
- The system is equipped with ultra-high speed and low-latency 5G connection for efficient data collection and remote operation.
- Future plans include leveraging 5G communication technologies to enhance safety information for connected vehicles.
The introduction of AI-powered pedestrian crossings marks a remarkable milestone in Dubai’s commitment to ensuring pedestrian safety and creating a safer and smarter urban environment for its residents and visitors.
14 AI powered pedestrian crossings systems
14 AI powered pedestrian crossings systems has unveiled in Dubai Silicon Oasis (DSO). This first-of-its-kind system in the region harnesses artificial in telligence to revolutionize pedestrian safety, detect vulnerable road users, and minimize potential conflicts with approaching vehicles.
Developed by Derq, the state-of-the-art platform utilizes behavior prediction models to track vehicles and road users approaching pedestrian crosswalks. By optimizing the reaction time of approaching vehicles, the system ensures timely warnings and prepares traffic signals for pedestrians crossing.
Reading Suggestion: Dubai Students Create Revolutionary Solar-Powered Autonomous Car Prototype
A unique feature of the system is its customizable alerts, allowing activation or deactivation based on specific crossing scenarios. The technology can activate flashing warning signs, in-road warning lights, and even traffic signal controllers, preemptively avoiding any potential conflicts with pedestrians.
Furthermore, the system collects valuable data to enhance road users’ awareness and enable relevant authorities to respond effectively to safety issues and traffic performance. The implementation of the system follows two years of extensive testing to ensure its seamless integration and optimal performance.
Equipped with an ultra-high speed and low-latency 5G connection, the system enables efficient data collection and offers remote operation, maintenance, and configuration capabilities for the system’s operator. Future plans include leveraging 5G communication technologies to deliver safety information and alerts to connected vehicles approaching pedestrian crosswalks.
Muammar Al Katheeri, Chief Officer for Engineering and Sustainability at Dubai Integrated Economic Zones Authority (DIEZ), emphasized that this innovative system positions DSO as a technologically advanced zone, offering residents and business partners a seamless and intelligent living and working experience. He also highlighted the collaboration with Derq as part of Dubai’s vision to promote pedestrian safety and eco-friendly transportation options.
Dr. Georges Aoude, CEO, and Co-founder of Derq expressed his excitement about the collaboration, which aligns with Dubai’s vision to become a bicycle-friendly city with robust safety measures. The implementation of AI-powered pedestrian crossings is a significant step towards advancing Dubai’s smart city agenda.